SHORTLIST: SPAIN'S SUSTAINABLE MEDIA AWARDS
THE SPANISH TOURIST OFFICE ANNOUNCES SHORTLIST FOR ITS FIRST SUSTAINABLE MEDIA AWARDS
The Spanish Tourist Office (UK) has confirmed the shortlist for Spain’s inaugural Sustainable Media Awards.
The four judges of Spain’s Sustainable Awards are:
- Carol Rose, Senior Sustainability Manager at ABTA
- Thomas Power, CEO of Pura Aventura
- Richard Hammond, Founder of Green Traveller
- Manuel Butler, Director of The Spanish Tourist Office in the UK
The shortlists for each category in Spain’s Sustainable Media Awards 2023 are:
Consumer National Newspaper Sustainable Tourism Feature of the Year (print)
- Chris Haslam - We're going on a bear hunt (The Sunday Times)
- Hugh Thomson - From cloud forest to desert canyon (The Financial Times)
- Oliver Smith - The Train in Spain (The Times)
- Xenia Taliotis - Spain's greenest Sierra (The Sunday Times)
Consumer Magazine Sustainable Tourism Feature of the Year (print)
- Chris Fitch - Bears in mind (Geographical Magazine)
- Jessica Vincent - Dine out in Galicia's Unofficial Restaurants (Food By National Geographic Traveller (UK))
- Ross Clarke - A wild ride to Paradise (JRNY magazine)
- Tilly Jayne-Kidman - Balearics Beyond the Beaches (House of Coco)
Online Consumer Sustainable Tourism Feature of the Year
- David Díaz - A guide to Puertollano, the Spanish town that's a tapas paradise waiting to be discovered (Conde Nast Traveller)
- Manni Coe – A lesson in slow travel: walking the Camino de Santiago with my brother (The Guardian)
- Matt Charlton - The ultimate guide to exploring Spain by train (Conde Nast Traveller)
- Vincent Crump - Beach-hopping along Menorca’s ancient walking trail (The Times)
Sustainable Blog, Vlog or Podcast of the Year
- Chloe Gunning - 15 Amazing Landscapes in Spain (Wanderlust Chloe)
- Molly Sears-Piccavey - Off the Beaten Path in Spain (Piccavey)
- Teresa Gomez - A 5-day Northern Spain itinerary trip (Brogan Abroad)
- Jodie Dewberry - How to enjoy sustainable tourism in Mallorca: 21 ecotourism experiences for every traveller to enjoy (Alajode)
Manuel Butler, director of the Spanish Tourist Office says:
“Sustainable travel is at the heart of our strategy here at the Spanish Tourist Office and we are delighted to received so many impressive entries showcasing important sustainability initiatives in our inaugural awards. We were delighted with the level and quality of the submissions and are pleased to see that the UK media is addressing important tourism topics”.
The awards ceremony will also feature one special award, presented by Wanderlust Magazine.
The awards will be held at The Conduit (6 Langley St, London WC 2H 9JA) in Covent Garden on Wednesday 26 April 2023, following Spain’s first ‘Sustainability Summit’ which features important discussion and debate on key issues relating to the travel industry and sustainability.
The awards will celebrate the best travel content by UK writers showcasing themes which correspond to Spain’s sustainable tourism pillars such as seasonal or geographic diversification, forming a connection with local people and cultures, visiting lesser visited areas and taking part in low-impact activities such as cycling and walking, as well a travelling by train and other forms of public transport.